Sunday, February 21, 2021

Paying your Debts

 Video Introduction Flight


I was browsing Facebook and read a post about young man offering to wash airplanes for an airplane ride. I made an appointment almost immediately for the next available Saturday morning. It turned out to be a cold but sunny Florida winter's day. 

I taxied over to the wash area and waited just a few minutes before he and his mom arrived in their car. They introduced themselves and quickly got their equipment out and began to work. I brought along a beach chair and sat down to watch. I was impressed. Attention to detail. They assessed the trouble spots on the belly and decided how to coordinate their efforts to get the job done. Constant communication. 

It had been awhile since I did this so the airplane was dirty. Some areas are harder to get to, even on a creeper, but they never slowed down. Their clothes got soaked as they laid in the puddles to get the dirt off the brakes. I was amazed when he cleaned the top of the vertical stabilizer without using a ladder. Teamwork.

After about 2 hours they finished up. The best the airplane had looked in a long time.

This past Saturday was my turn to pay up. When I left home the weather was marginal. Foggy mist was breaking up and low clouds were forming. Winds were still light but getting stronger. The forecast was good and I hoped it would be right for a change. It was chilly for Florida, low to mid 40°s. I asked them to dress warmly. They arrived on time.

I briefed them both in the FBO break room. We chatted briefly about objectives and expectations. Then I talked about the airplane, emergency procedures and what I planned for each flight. He went first. After an hour we returned and gave her a chance. Not quite as long but it was her very first time to control an airplane. Both had smiles on their faces during the debrief in the break room. 

He is 14, just starting his adventure. She is a manager at the airport and for the first time saw a traffic pattern from the cockpit. The debt I owe aviation is huge. I was so happy to give just a little bit back. It was a very good day.





No comments:

Post a Comment