Friday, February 26, 2021

Arcadia X06

 Video Arcadia

According to The Atlas of Florida, "The Rev. James Madison ("Boss") Hendry (1839–1922) named the town in honor of Arcadia Albritton (1861–1932), a daughter of Thomas H. and Fannie (Waldron) Albritton, pioneer settlers. Arcadia had baked him a cake for his birthday and he appreciated it so much that he named the city after her."

Turning downwind X06 RWY06

From 1917 to 1922, Arcadia was the home of Carlstrom Field, a grass airfield of the U.S. Army Air Service named for deceased aviation pioneer Victor Carlstrom. Carlstrom Field was used for pilot training both during and after World War I. In May 1941 the site again became an airfield for military primary flight training, operated by the Embry–Riddle Aeronautical Institute (now Embry–Riddle Aeronautical University). Carlstrom Field, one of several satellite fields in the Fort Myers area, also trained pilots for the Royal Air Force until its closing in 1945. Arcadia Municipal Airport is a public-use airport located 1 mile (1.6 km) southeast of the central business district. The City of Arcadia operates the day-to-day operations of the airport. It is leading the State in low fuel prices and has a nice Fly-In & Camp Out facility called Aviation City. It is becoming locally famous for weekly fly-in Taco Tuesdays.

Arcadia and other areas of Florida have a rich history of cattle-raising, which means it also had – and continues to have – a large contingent of cowboys, known locally as Florida Crackers (for the sound made by their whips). Located just one hour east of Sarasota and Bradenton and one hour north of Fort Myers, Arcadia sits in the middle of Florida cowboy country and it is a place where the Old West meets the Old South. Rodeos and other competitions in Arcadia are common, and the town also hosts the De Soto County Fair in January and the Watermelon Festival in May. 

Sally looked good when I opened the hangar doors. Still clean from her bath, the sun shined on the spinner as I began the preflight.  Nose tire was a bit under pressure so I put about 5 lbs. of air in the tire. I also marked the spot where the stem comes out with a silver Sharpie. The wheel pant makes this a bit difficult to find. The rest of the checks were good. 

Citation taking off on RWY18

The weather looked good for the 30 minute flight. The temperatures are in the mid 70°s and we're under a low pressure system.  Light winds  and haze. The farmers are burning their winter weeds so there is a lot of smoke is in the air. 

Runway 5-23 is closed at KVDF for improvements. It won't be open again till the end of March so all traffic is forced to use 18-36. Only a slight inconvenience for me since my hangar is just off this runway. It does mean a significant increase in traffic. I got an airshow today as a Citation took off on RWY18 as I taxied out of my ramp area. I waited a few extra minutes for wake turbulence to clear prior to to taxi. 

The flight plan was pretty routine except for one thing, my "nightmare towers". These are a group of monstrous cell phone towers with long ugly arms that reach up out the ground trying to grab unsuspecting pilots on smoky, hazy days. I looked for them as soon as I crossed over I75 and kept well clear to the east. Sally took us up to 2,700' and we stayed there with a few burbles in the air for most of the trip. A few orange groves and a lot of pasture were the only sights to see along our route. Florida is pretty flat.

On final RWY06 at X06
The engine is performing very well. Prior to the flight I took the remaining tape off the oil cooler and I may have done it too soon. Temperature stayed in the 180°F range and I would prefer it get up to 200°F. I'll add a strip next time. The prop repitch is a success. TAS was 118kts for cruise at 5300RPM (about 5.5GPS). That's about 5kts faster than before the adjustment. Takeoff is at 4950RPM and climb out (80kts) is about 5180RPM. I'm happy with all of those numbers.

Arcadia only had a few visitors. None were in the pattern when I got there. It's a nice, well maintained airport. I'll plan on going back for some tacos. A touch and go and I was on my way home. I decided to climb above the smoke and leveled at 6,500ft. There was smoother air but still smoky. The Tampa class B was coming up so we went back down again, just in time to fly over my house. The development is expanding to the north and the sandy soil stood out from the rest of the green lawns.

The landing pattern was a little busy with student pilots at KVDF. I was number 3 on the downwind and someone was turning crosswind behind me. But the spacing was all good and I made an uneventful full stop landing.

Uneventful is always good.

*Question from a reader about smoke: 


Smoke from local burns at about 5000'.

3 comments:

  1. Sir you're a very nice "raconteur"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave: Nice video. What was the smoke you mentioned?
    Looking forward to your next excursion.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thanks for reading! I added a picture to show some of the haze created by the local burns. I counted about a half dozen ground fires on the trip.

      Delete