Saturday, June 27, 2020

Maybe a Solution

Video Link: CHT Diagnostics

I'm frustrated with the COVID resurgence. Tampa seems to be in full bloom and I can only hope that it will die out once this latest resurgence is over. Sally and I have been doing some maintenance so we can be ready for students if/when the pandemic subsides.

CHT 1 Hot: I rechecked all of the obvious and still found nothing amiss. Certus volunteered a used radiator (fluid cooler) to try. I removed the old, then gave the system a bath. I used a water hose on inlets and outlets and let it flush the system completely. I lightly washed the whole engine removing any grime and ran water through the used radiator for a few minutes. The shock mounts would not come off the old radiator so I ordered some new from Amazon (here). I did a taxi test and saw some improvement. With Florida temperatures reaching triple digits I called it a day.

Early the next morning I rechecked all of my previous work, added about a cup of coolant and took her for a test flight. It turned into another record breaking hot Florida day but my results still showed a major improvement over previous attempts.

Rule: No training flights if OAT exceeds 90° F.

Next: Investigate the Oil Cooler.

Note: Maybe Sally would look good with a P51 scoop.



No comments:

Post a Comment