Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Landing Analysis

Leo is a new Private Pilot student starting his landing pattern work. I had the FBO fuel the plane with 10 gallons of 100LL while we went into the pilot's lounge to brief for the flight. We discussed the various ways to enter a traffic pattern and I told him that the 45° entry was still my preferred entry because it provides the best opportunity to see other planes in the pattern.

Due to the busy traffic at Tampa Executive, I decided to fly the 10 minutes east to Plant City where it is usually a lot quieter. Today we had a Piper Cub to do our circuits with and I really enjoyed watching him from the hold short line as we waited for our turn.

At this stage of training there is a lot to do:

Land-1: INTRODUCTION TO TAKEOFFS AND LANDINGS 

NEW LESSON ITEMS: Traffic Pattern Entries; Collision Avoidance and Scanning procedures in the Traffic Pattern; Traffic Patterns to low approaches and full stop; takeoffs and landings; go-arounds. Introduction to proper radio procedures.
COMPLETION STANDARDS: The lesson will have been successfully completed when the student: is able to fly ground reference maneuvers with altitude +/- 150 feet, airspeed +/- 15 knots; has shown an increase in proficiency in flying the rectangular pattern, with altitude +/- 150 feet, airspeed +/- 15 knots, as well as uses proper scanning and collision avoidance procedures; the student will show an understanding of go-around procedures and how to recover from bouncing and ballooning during landings; the student will be able to make landings with occasional instructor assistance. 

I demonstrated a 45° entry and gave the airplane controls to him once we taxied clear of RWY10. I handled the radio so that he could concentrate on his basic airwork. I've found that 4 or 5 attempts are enough stress on the student for one session.

I always try to video the students first attempts. It serves as a baseline to show progress on future flights, but more importantly, the video serves as an analysis tool to provide feedback on the flight.
"I appreciate that you took the time and effort to produce and edit that video and insert your comments, the video is an invaluable tool for illustrating errors. It clearly shows how my perceptions of what was happening differed from reality. I was worried that my track was wildly inconsistent and the GPS track shows that I was extremely consistent with my path (although it was not the correct path), and the GPS also illustrates that my course wandered left more than I perceived, particularly when I started the focusing on my preparations for landing and focused on the altitude, speed, flaps, etc." ~ Leo
Video Notes: Learning to Land 

No comments:

Post a Comment