Saturday, August 18, 2018

Annual Requirements


Annual Condition Inspection. A detailed inspection accomplished once a year on an LSA in accordance with instructions provided in the maintenance manual supplied with the aircraft. The purpose of the inspection is to look for any wear, corrosion, or damage that would cause an aircraft to not be in a condition for safe operation.

The guidebook on who can do what is the maintenance manual (MM) specific to that aircraft. This manual includes information on the condition inspections, repair of the airplane, and authorization for repairs and maintenance. Each task outlined in the MM defines who is authorized to perform that duty—whether it’s the sport pilot certificate (or higher) holder, an A&P, or an LSRMA. 

I decided early on that I was not mechanically inclined. Dad had taught me to turn a wrench on my 1963 Corvair convertible, but I was only average at doing the work. Other car projects came and went with the same results, acceptable but not professional. Sally needs a professional.

I picked Todd up at the Orlando Airport on Saturday night. He had his tools in his checked bag, just under 50#s. After a diner breakfast the next morning, we went out to the hangar to see Sally. I had the cowling and pants off already and was assigned the task of removing inspection plates. He walked around her taking notes, pointing out areas of concern, asking if I had noticed a problem with this or that. Sally has really been running well so I had no complaints to speak of (except the left break occasionally made a "galunka lunka sound). After a while, we headed out to pick up some grease and other lubricants, then stopped for a burger before returning to complete the work. He has some really cool tools. It was a long 8 hour day. But it wasn't over. After dinner, he sat at the kitchen counter and updated my maintenance logs. Certus has created a binder system that provides an owner with an organized view of what has been accomplished and when additional tasks should be completed.

I learned a lot.


I took him back to the Orlando Airport Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment