Thursday, May 10, 2018

Prepare for Emergencies

We have been enjoying great weather in Florida. Unusually low humidity with temperatures starting in the mid-60s before reaching 90 in the hot part of the afternoon. Wonderful flying weather (except for the "Lovebugs").

After the preflight, I asked Bruce to program the GPS with a short round robin to include KPCM - KZPH then back to KVDF. He asked to substitute X39 for Zephyrhills due to the traffic we've encountered there. I told him not to worry as we would never get there.


  1. IMC: After take-off, I asked him to climb to 2,500' and engage the autopilot. I simulated Tampa Departure for him to get Flight Following. At Plant City, Sally turned to a track of 007 to go to KZPH. I told him that we would simulate inadvertent flight into IMC and asked him to put on the "Foggles". He then pressed and held the autopilot button to have Sally execute a 180 to escape the clouds. Next, we disconnected the autopilot so that he could perform basic airwork maneuvers "under the hood".
  2. PPEL: After removing the "Foggles" we resumed our trip to KZPH. At 2500' I simulated fluctuating oil pressure and told him I felt engine vibration. He maneuvered the airplane to hit "High Key" over RWY10 at Plant City. "Low Key" was a little tight in and he carried too much energy onto final but we agreed we could have made the landing.
  3. Fire: We departed KPCM to the north climbing back up to 2,500' en route to KZPH. Once settled in I said I smelled simulated smoke and then complained about simulate heat on my legs. As he started the procedures I said I saw simulated flames and that we had a simulated engine fire. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, Checklist. We would have made that field.
  4. Diversion: Back up to 2,500' again going to KZPH. I told him there was a simulated emergency at our destination and we had to divert. He used the 696 to pick the airport (X39) and set up the autopilot to go direct.
  5. Loss of power in the pattern: Once comfortable, I said let's go home. As we approached abeam the numbers I told him we had a simulated engine failure. (Sally was having a simulated bad day.) We would have made the landing but I had him execute a "go around".
  6. Normal Landing: I told him I was done "simulating" and that this would be a normal landing.  We were number 2 behind a Cessna but didn't spot him. The other plane called base, still no joy. Finally, way out in front, we saw him. Good headwork and corrections for a very long final. I guess there is just no such thing as a normal landing.




No comments:

Post a Comment