Friday, December 14, 2018

Just for Me

There was a scheduling error. I was at the airport but the student wasn't. There was fuel in the tanks, VFR weather and my time was already allocated. So why not?

The winds were 080 at 8 gusting to 10, so I decided to try Plant City which has an east/west runway. 10 minutes away in smooth air, I entered on a 45 for RWY10. I was the only plane in the pattern. The winds were picking up with some pretty good chop on final. I don't get to do many landings myself anymore so it was good practice. The second landing was a very nice "roll on".

I departed to the north to do a system check of all the avionics. The autopilot coupled nicely to the GPS as I wandered up to Tampa North. I flew over the outlet mall and noted lots of new construction. The traffic is already a problem up there, adding more stores and restaurants isn't going to make the situation any better. Progress.

I came back to Tampa Exec for a few more landings. Reported winds were now 090 at 12 gusting 15. My landing on RWY 5 was good so I taxied over to RWY36 for some challenging crosswind practice. There was already a Cessna 172 working there and soon a Mooney came over to join the gaggle.

This a "pilot controlled" (Uncontrolled) airport. As you look at the diagram you can see a potential conflict with crossing traffic. The base leg of  RWY5 overlays the departure leg of RWY36. In addition, the police base of operations for helicopters is located at the south end of RWY36.

My first full flap landing was fine. I planted her pretty well (intentionally) in the gusty 15+kt crosswind. (POH max recommended crosswind component.) I decided to do a no flap landing next. I called my downwind as #2 behind the Cessna. I went a little deeper than normal to give the other airplane plenty of time to clear the runway. (Usually, I start my turn after the other guy passes behind my wing. This time I added a few seconds.) I added about 10kts to my normal speed for the no-flap configuration and an additional 5kts for the gusty wind. The Cessna cleared the runway as I turned final. I was screaming in way too hot. Go around. I announced my intentions just as another Cessna using RWY5 announced his turn to base. I was lower than he was as I was just taking off, he was in his final stage of approach to landing.

§91.113   Right-of-way rules.

As I announced my downwind a helicopter announced a 5 mile final for RWY36. By the time I turned base the helicopter was at 3 miles. I spotted it and we were both at the same altitude.

§91.113   Right-of-way rules.

I made another "roll on" (Two in one day!) and was off at the first exit. A great exercise that convinced me I should fly solo more often.
BTW, don't rely on the other pilot to obey §91.113. We avoided any potential conflict by seeing and communicating with each other.






No comments:

Post a Comment