Monday, October 1, 2018

Nighttime

It is still hot in Florida. I've been keeping a close eye on the Cylinder Head Temperature and carefully inspecting the coolant level during preflight. It seems when the air temperature gets into the 90's the CHT gets up into the 250's. The night temps should be cooler.

I haven't been flying solo lately. My time has been spent with students climbing the learning ladder for their Sport Pilot or Private pilot certificates. When Bruce completed his solo cross country last week he also graduated into the next stage of his education which will include night operations. I needed to get myself current so took time on a beautiful Sunday evening to get a minimum of three full stop landings.

I got to the airport at about an hour before sunset to give me a chance to preflight in the daylight. Sally looked good. My three flashlight all got fresh batteries (as did my headset). The exterior lighting looked good. This would be my first time to try my new landing light. She burped after 20, the coolant level was just above the strap. We were ready to go.

I watched the sun setting as we sat at the hold short line for RWY5. I triggered the CTAF to check the runway lights and completed my checklist. The first two circuits wouldn't qualify for night landings but it sure was fun flying downwind watching the city of Tampa glow in the distance. I was alone in the cool quiet evening air. Just wonderful.

I finished my work and taxied back to the hangar. My new landing light is great, at least twice as bright as the original. I wondered how the lights would be on the taxiway to the hangar. Turns out the whole area is very well lit.

This was a great flight.

Video notes: Night time video

No comments:

Post a Comment