Saturday, July 3, 2021

Unintentional Flight

Do your checklist. Even if you plan to just taxi to the other side of the ramp. There really are reasons why items are on the checklist and why they are there in that order.

I've been fighting the engine cylinder head temperature for a long time now. Now with summertime at full strength in Florida, it was likely to become a real show stopper. I've done my best to mitigate the problem by changing the radiator, oil cooler, swapping temperature sensors, and inspecting for coolant leaks. All of these things helped but didn't eliminate the problem. She was still getting up to 250-degree range approaching top of climb. Bruce was having a similar problem made worse by flying out of a busy airport with long hold short times. He decided to try this wrap. Now, even on the hottest days, his CHT stabilizes at 230-degrees. So seeing the successful implementation of this solution I asked CERTUS to do Sally. Yesterday we spent the morning installing the wrap on all of the exhaust pipes.

Before I continue it must be understood that I had no intention of flying. The weather conditions were marginal with thunder and lightning in the vicinity. My thought was to taxi to the farthest runway, point the nose OUT of the wind to minimize cooling and do a very long, deliberate runup. OAT 88F and high Florida humidity yielded about 220-degrees on the CHT. So I planned to do an aborted takeoff and a long slow taxi back on RWY23. No one else was in the pattern so I announced my intentions and took the runway. All indications were good. But there was a black spot on the runway centerline. Now this runway has just undergone a major improvement program so my first thought was maintenance debris. Nope. It was a gator. Probably 6' or 7' right on the centerline. Too late to abort or go around I instinctively pulled back....and went flying.

I radioed Skyport Aviation and they sent a crew out to chase it away. I made one pass to ensure it was clear then made a full stop landing. I was done for the day. The temperature never got above 230-degrees. There is nothing boring about flying in Florida.

Maintenance Check Flight


1 comment:

  1. Yikes!! I thought deer were an issue. Good call and safe outcome. Glad she's running a cooler.

    ReplyDelete