Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Out Among the Clouds




I planned a trip to fly down to Okeechobee County Airport (KOBE). The weather forecast showed typical Florida convection with build-ups in the early afternoon. If I got an early start I could get there and back before the thunderstorms rolled in. 

I got a late start. A lot of little things captured me at my desk. It's amazing how much time it takes to get through appointments, phone calls, and email. Still, I thought I was at the airport in time to make the flight. A few minor discrepancies during the preflight. She needed a little oil, the nose tire needed air, The canopy needed to be cleaned. She also needs a bath but that can be done on a no-fly day. She burped after 15.

Another weather check was still good. Taxi and run-up revealed no issues although I had to wait for the engine to warm up...on a hot day in July. I think the exhaust wrap may be a big step forward in controlling the CHT issue. I was concerned that I didn't see any ADSB weather prior to take off. Clearly, there were clouds all around me but nothing was shown on my GPS. This would be a good test of the weather capabilities of the system.

Normal take-off on RWY05. (No gators this time.) Light traffic in the area and I saw the little arrows for traffic alerts, and suddenly I had full weather by the time I was passing 1500'. The smooth air and excellent visibility were encouraging but the clouds were building quicker than expected. I decided to climb above them to see where the tops were. Since I live under a Class B I had to do this in steps. The GPS alerted me each time I approached a border or a floor of the airspace. I'm still getting accustomed to the touch screen and have found comfortable places to rest my hand prior to poking at the information I want. ""East is odd, West is even +500ft". I decided to climb to 7500ft. That wouldn't cut it. So I checked the weather down at Lake Okeechobee. Well, it was looking "iffy". Too many reds and yellows for a fun flight. Let's go to plan "B".  So after passing 8500ft we turned north and started looking for a hole.

I pulled the power to idle and trimmed for 100KTS. The view was spectacular. Towering clouds on either side as we flew down the valley between them. I forgot how long it takes to get down. The bottoms were at 3000+ft and I turned toward Plant City for some touch-and-goes. I forgot about engine cooling during descent. As I put the power up I got a "High RPM" alert as I advance the throttle. The oil tempertaure had dropped below 122. So I set it at 4000RPM and used pitch to control it by pitching up a bit whenever I go the audio alert. After a short time, it was back to normal. 

I'll put KOBE on my list for another day. This flight was a successful day for systems checks. ADSB weather works and the exhaust wrap seems to be effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment