Thursday, November 5, 2020

The day CERTUS came to town


After a "project meeting" at the local Waffle House we drove over to the hangar and got organized. Tools were laid out on the table. Parts were unpacked and inspected. The cowling was removed and a close look at the engine was performed.

  1. Oil Cooler: Even with cooler weather Sally had been reporting CHT One High on several occasions. I purchased a new cooler and we removed and replaced the old one. This (of course) included an oil change.
  2. Air Filter: Some might consider this a minor change but what a difference it can make. We changed the standard to a High Flow Air K&N performance filter.
  3. Spark Plugs: About 100 hours on the old plugs. The burn looked good on all of them but it was time. Added new boots as well. Good compression checks.
  4. Ducati Rectifier: While there are better choices for E-LSAs, the Ducati is the only one I can use. I'm convinced that heat is the primary cause of failure and Florida is hot. Coupled with the CHT problem, I was getting Voltage Low alerts. Removed and replaced the old rectifier.
  5. Fuel Sump Valve: I noticed some fuel stain on the pilot side fuel sump. On close inspection I could see a "dribble". I repeatedly tried to reset the valve but failed. We removed and replaced it.
  6. Maintenance Check Flight: I knew it was better even before we got to the run up area. The CHT was rising but stabilized at about 200°F. When the oil temperature reached 122°F I powered up to 4000RPM and immediately the oil temperature dropped back down. A short wait at the hold short line was not a problem. The final test was passed during a Vy climb with no CHT alerts. 
Not a bad day's work. She's fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment