Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Start of the Journey

Departing Tampa Executive to the East
I sat in the FBO waiting for my next student to arrive. Sally was out on the ramp as a King Air taxied in and parked right next to her. After the passengers deplaned the pilots came out to do a walk around, each taking their own side. After checking the port outboard wing, the pilot looked over at Sally and did a walk around her. Ramp appeal.

They come from different backgrounds and experiences. Usually, they have some aviation knowledge. I have to guard myself against boring them with too much basic information. For some, this is the first time in a small General Aviation airplane. "Small" was considered to be the twin-engine commuter they took on one leg of a long commercial flight. They have never flown RC models as kids or watched "Twelve O'clock High" on TV. I have to guard against throwing too many acronyms or make assumptions when using common terminology.

The Discovery Flight is the start of the journey to getting a pilot's license. I brief each client that it is their opportunity to see if they like it. If they like Sally, if they like me and if they can see themselves doing this. It is also their opportunity to walk away. So far, no one has walked away.

Last month I got a call from Ira. He is on a mission to fly as many different aircraft types as possible and wanted to know if I could help him. I said sure and asked if he had a C R U Z in his logbook. He said no, so I boasted that it would go to the top of his list. He paused for just an instant and explained that he had flown a P51. OK. So I explained that we would call it a Discovery Flight and it would cost $50. "...and how much to rent the plane?" he asked. I said no charge, that it was my way to entice people to get into General Aviation. "Should I charge more?" I asked. "Not until after you've flown with me," he said.

He was a "snowbird" and the wet weather continued until it was time for him to travel back north. Maybe next season.

Video Notes: Sonja
Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment