Saturday, February 17, 2018

Decision Making

The Florida State Fair 2018
I made arrangements with the prospective student to do a Go/No Go weather check at 8:00am. I got up early to check the METARS and weather summaries for our proposed 10:00am flight. It was dense fog but forecast to clear to light scattered by the time we took off. I sent him an email that we were "Go". I walked out of the house and could hardly see across the street.  I wasn't sure if I made a good decision.

I arrived at the airport before 9:00am. Still dense fog, but I could hear an airplane engine. Moments later I heard the take off on RWY23 but never saw him. I remembered the tragic crash at the Bartow airport Christmas Eve. Similar conditions, fog so dense you couldn't see more than a few yards in front of you. I wonder if this pilot knew the risk he was taking. He made a very bad decision.

My student arrived on time. I apologized for not canceling but he was happy to be at the airport around planes. We went to the pilot's lounge and talked about goals. And then, we talked about weight. Light Sport is ruled by the 1320# maximum take-off weight limitation. He, Sally and I would be fine for taxi, but not for take-off, and any fuel in the tanks would put us way over the limit. He understood but still wanted to see the airplane. We went out to the hangar where I gave him my best "static display" presentation. I took him back to his car. Too bad, I would have enjoyed flying with him. This was a hard decision.

I always try to fly a "check flight" before flying with a new student. I want to make sure that Sally is seen in the best light, clean with all the systems working. So we took off on RWY23 and flew over the fair. Kathy and I attended last week and really enjoyed it. If you fly into KVDF it's only a few minutes away down Rt 301. Come on down! It would be a good decision.

Cracker Country at the State Fair.
Video Notes: Downtown

No comments:

Post a Comment