Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Appointments to Keep

Flying home from south Florida.
I had two 5 gallon jugs full of Premium Mogas and some coffee and a bagel from Wawa. The rush hour traffic to get across Valrico Road and MLK Highway was heavier than expected, so it took longer to get to the airport than planned. Fortunately, the construction team hadn't started their work on the I4 exit ramp. I still made my departure time before 9:00am EDT.

I contacted Tampa Departure immediately after takeoff but got no response. Checked the frequency on my Waypoint Info page and reselected 119.9 just to be sure. No joy. huh. So I chose KLAL for some additional information and used that page for the Miami Center frequency. That worked. I was level at 5500', burning just under 6 gal/hr and True Airspeed read 115kts. Checklist complete, autopilot engaged...I left my coffee in the car. Rats!

It was an uneventful flight down to KHWO. I had a potential client to meet there. Our preflight conversation went well so we proceeded with the Discovery Flight. I'm always cautious finding a suitable area to do some maneuvering. This time we headed west to get out the Class B/C/D airspace and climbed to altitude over the Everglades. The student did some basic airwork (BAW) and followed instructions well. He has potential.

Next we had an appointment to visit a client down at Miami Executive Airport, formerly known as Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport (KTMB). Parallel runways, under the Class B, this is a very busy airport. After landing we taxied over to the "Tiki" and sat in the shade to discuss marketing strategies and options. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. (*BTW, this was the farthest south I have ever flown a GA airplane.)

Then it was back to North Perry for some fuel before returning home. Self Serve is always a challenge for me. I don't know why I always find it difficult, but it never goes well. I carefully read the instructions, put the nozzle in the tank and...nothing. Read the instructions again carefully, again nothing. As I walked back to read the instructions for the third time I noticed the placard on the front of the pump. "Cash Only". The credit card pump was to the left. Success!

An uneventful flight home. I landed at the end of civil twilight. It had been a beautiful Florida sunset.

Notes from Sally. After lots on investigation, the oil pressure sender problem is FINALLY resolved. Thank You CERTUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment